- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/4 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour Blend
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup assorted chopped fresh herbs such as sage, chives, tarragon or oregano
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 tsp each baking powder and baking soda
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, cold, finely sliced
Preheat oven to 375°F (190°C). Extract 1 tbsp (15 mL) juice from the lemon. Stir lemon juice into milk and let stand 5 min. to sour milk. Meanwhile, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl. Stir in cheese and herbs until well combined.
Cut in butter until crumbly using a pastry blender or two knives. Add the milk mixture and stir just until ragged dough forms. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Knead lightly, about 10 times, or until no dry patches remain.
Transfer dough to a parchment-paper-lined baking sheet and pat into a 1 inch (2.5 cm) thick disk. Dust the top of the loaf with a little additional flour and score with a large “X” (about 1/4 inch/5 mm deep) using a sharp paring knife. Bake for 30 min. and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Transfer to a rack; cool before slicing.